Wipe It Up
I don’t want to tote around a gym bag full of soaps, creams, and lotions (see my prior post about shoulder pain). I try to make everything effective as possible, meaning products have to pull double- or triple- duty in order to earn a spot in my toiletry bag. This is why face wipes are my post-workout skin saver - I can use them as a cleanser and toner all in one. Plus face wipes are great to have along in your desk drawer for a mid-day refresh, and they also work wonders on camping or car trips when access to a bathroom is limited.
I am always on the lookout for ways to detox my beauty routine. Naturally, I had to figure out a way to make my own face wipes without all of the preservatives and chemicals found in commercially available products. Here I share with you my recipe for toxin-free face wipes that you can customize to your own skincare needs.
- 1 C Alcohol-free witch hazel (THIS ONE is my favorite)
- 1/3 C Aloe vera gel (look for a pure + organic, such as THIS)
- 3-5 drops Essential oils
- Normal/combination skin: rose absolute or lavender
- Acne prone/oily skin: tea tree or sandalwood
- Dry or aging skin: carrot seed or geranium
- 30 cotton face pads (preferably organic, like THESE)
- Jar with lid (any jar will work; THIS is a cute option)
RELATED READING: How To DIY All-Natural Dry Shampoo
- Combine witch hazel, aloe, and essential oils in a bowl
- Whisk until thoroughly combined
- Place cotton pads inside of jar
- Pour witch hazel/aloe/essential oil liquid over the cotton
- Close lid on jar
- Use as needed - face, neck, etc
As with any new skin product, ALWAYS always do a patch test inside your wrist on any to test allergic reaction: swab a small amount of product inside your wrist and wait for 24 hours to test for itching, redness, or allergy.